llApplication Instructions: Read FAQ's before submission for an application to be considered, thank you! (This will save both of us alot of time!) We have added this section to be helpful.
FAQ's: How much are your kittens? Several factors contribue to the cost of a kitten, -We are a non-profiting hobby/show breeder -We feed a high quality diet with supplements, -DNA test for genetic diseases -Register litters with TICA & or CFA, -Spay/neuter all of our kittens prior to going home. -Provide 2 vet exams, 2-3 sets of vaccinations.
We are at or below the price of other purebred show breeders in our area who follow a similar protocol. I do not list prices here only due to privacy preferences.
Do you discount older kittens? Not typically, unless there is a known health condition. If an older kitten is available, they’ve been here longer to determine breed/show potential. This generally makes them even more loving and sweet, as they get our undivided attention for much longer than the others.
How much are your adult/retiring cats? ($150-$350 typically) Before leaving, retiring adult cats have spay/neuter, well-check, microchip, teeth cleaned (if needed), & updated vaccinations. This is a $300-$ 700 charge for us, but typically only ask for 50% of the charges. The point is to place in a loving home. We are a small cattery, so do not retire cats even on a yearly basis.
Why are Ragdolls so expensive? The financial burden of breeders is not so well-known. I am going to go up on a soapbox for a minute. Purebreds from quality show breeders cost more. Expenses, veterinary needs are high, we travel to shows, belong to breed clubs (pay for pedigrees and so many other things), and must be prepared for pay for any vet emergencies. We have websites, advertising, health testing, providing everything our cats need (or we think they would ever want, LOL!), supporting our entire cattery based on what receive for our kittens.
Unlike the dog breeding world, stud service is not in the best interest of our Queens (too much risk of disease), and artificial insemination isn’t yet possible, so we must purchase a new King/Queen on a regular basis. To purchase a new breeder cat/kitten to replace one retiring, cost upward of $2-5K within the US, double or triple that if overseas. That could be 50-200% of the cost of an entire litter!
Oh, and just pray & hope there are no problems with delivery, especially in the middle of the night! Emergency c-sections are $2,500-$3,000. 😳
The week before and 2 weeks after kittens are born, I take off work (unpaid) in case a struggling kitten requires extra TLC, labor-intensive tube or bottle feeding every 2-4 hours (24 hrs/day) until they are out of the woods.
Our ultimate goal is healthy and well socialized kittens, adhering to the Ragdoll breed standard, & improvement of the breed. I miss soccer games, out of town tournaments, most recently a funeral (because there was no one to tube feed a struggling kitten while I left town.)
We have experienced what it’s like to receive an unhealthy kitten from a not -so-good breeder. While we cannot control everything, we do our very best!
*One piece of advice, if you feel something is “off” when communicating with another breeder, trust your instincts and run!
Do you offer kittens at a discount? We are often asked about bargain kittens and discounts because of a health challenge or personal situation. While I am always empathetic, it’s true our cats/kittens depend on me to place them in the very best possible situation, as they cannot speak for themselves. Ragdolls are expensive to breed and it's understandable many people are unable to afford full price.
While I fully understand life's challenges (trust me on that 🤣) and I know a cat would be so well-loved and cherished, it’s equally important to me that the adoptive family has financial means to provide for unexpected veterinary expenses. Any discount given, takes away from what we are able to provide for those remaining in our care.
Can I trust you as a breeder? There are a lot of ways to do business, but we prefer openness, ethical communication and mutual respect. We realize we aren’t for everyone, and the wait can be long, but our goal is that our forever families are extremely pleased, and have many wonderful years of memories with their Bluedreamer Ragdoll kitten! Ask for kitten references, we do not mind.
Do you sell to other registered Ragdoll breeders? Kitten sales to other breeders are infrequent, however....
We have a new policy as of April 2020: Due to a prior poor experience with a breeder, we now Google search. read reviews, may request 2-3 names of other breeders to serve as references, and require phone # of your vet. Integrity and professionalism required in all verbal & written communications. (It’s not about the $.) It’s about my peace of mind 💕 above all else. I pay attention to my intuition.
I so value other conscientious breeders (big or small) who keep their word, follow through as planned, and are clear, trustworthy and straightforward. These are the folks I get excited to to business with!
Finally, we are done reading all of this! Now, how do I submit an application, and what should I expect moving forward in the process?
1. We are selective and ONLY answer complete applications. Please submit a detailed paragraph about you, where you live, lifestyle, who lives at your home (people, ages, other pets), why you are looking for a Ragdoll at this time anything special about you you'd like us to know - as detailed and complete as possible! * If you give me limited info, one line, or one question, I will not be able to reply.
2. Response Time. While we appreciate all inquiries for kittens and we love to personally answer every application, please understand we may not have any kittens, or do not have the color/pattern you are looking for or the timing you request, I will not be offended if you are persistent and contact me more than once. We received over 200 applications last year for only a few litters of kittens available. Other breeders may take deposits before kittens arrive, or before an 8 week vet exam, however I prefer not to do business that way. If you ask me for a "Blue Mitted female in the summer" this is nearly impossible for me to fulfill. Let me know how flexible you are on sex, color/pattern and timing. If goes faster if you just want a very loving Ragdoll! I have no idea if I will have a certain sex, color or pattern until kittens are here and color is developing.
3. Phone interview required for adoption.
4. Time frame. If you in a hurry, we may not be the best breeder for you. If you are looking for ethical, honest and trustworthy, you may find us worth the wait.
5. Wait list, deposits, selection, shipping. We do not ship pets, but will meet with you at Kansas City International Airport or a local hotel. We don't like to keep people waiting if we do not have what they most desire, and do not keep waiting lists for every litter,
6. Selection/ kitten deposits are taken at 8-10 weeks after well checks. One visit after 8 week exam & first vaccinations, to select a kitten and another visit on pick up day. We send pictures in between, but limit the # people in and out to prevent illness. Please do not come ill, or bring anyone here who is even possibly ill. We will reschedule your time to keep everyone healthy!
7. Male or Female? The girls will love you, but the boys will be IN love with you. Males tend to be more affectionate. If adding another cat to your household, best combo is male/female, then male/male and lastly female/female.
We are always thankful for your interest and time browsing our website! Only detailed applications will be considered, thank you!
I have read all FAQ'a before submitting a Ragdoll application.